Macaroni & Cheese (Show 1307)
|Well, we finally figured out how to make macaroni and cheese (with Susan's help), and here's our recipe, which makes about 6 servings. Try it out--it's delicious!
* 8 oz. macaroni
* 2 Tbs. cornstarch or arrowroot
* 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
* 1/4 tsp. black pepper
* 1/2 tsp. garlic or onion powder
* 2 Tbs. nutritional yeast (optional--make sure it's *nutritional* yeast, which is yellow and flaky, NOT brewer's or dry active yeast)
* 2 1/2 cups milk (soy or rice milk work fine, too)
* 2 Tbs. margarine or butter
* 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
* 1/4 cup bread crumbs
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees (F), and cook the macaroni until al dente (just tender); drain.
In a saucepan, mix together the cornstarch or arrowroot, dry mustard, black pepper, garlic or onion powder, and nutritional yeast. Gradually stir in the milk, until smooth. Add the margarine or butter. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Let sauce boil for 1 minute. Then remove the saucepan from the burner, and stir in 1 3/4 cups of cheddar cheese, until melted and smooth.
Mix in the cooked macaroni. Pour the mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese on top, followed by some paprika and the bread crumbs. Bake the macaroni and cheese, uncovered, for about 25 minutes, until it's all bubbly and toasted on top. Yum!